My shiny little online spot to help y'all keep track of me while I galavant around London.

Monday, September 13, 2004

About the school (history, location, pictures)


The school I'm attending is Goldsmiths College (and yes, that is punctuated properly, you anal Lynne Truss fans), one of many that make up the University of London. Around since 1891 (and part of UOL since 1904), Goldsmiths has about 8,500 students--so it's older, but smaller, than the U of Calgary. While it offers a pretty wide variety of programs, it's well known (so I'm told) for creative and cultural courses.

History
Goldsmiths has been part of UOL for 100 years, which was officially started in 1836--tho it's roots, of course, are older than that. It was created in response to other two British schools you may have heard of (unless you're Daorcey, or a retard, or both): Cambridge and Oxford. See, those two schools would only allow students who were members of the Church of England, meaning one had to be:
  1. British,
  2. Male,
  3. and of that religion.

UOL originally ignored the first and third points; in 1878, it became the first university in London to allow women to earn degrees. So, to Cambridge and Oxford, who admitted women for full degrees in 1948 and 1920, respectively, I say: suck it.

Location
Anyways, the important part (or the interesting part, anyway, to you) is where the school is: London.



Goldsmiths is in Southeast London, in a bourough called Lewisham, in an area called New Cross. That description is likely as meaningless to you as it is to me, but it means I'm in a relatively trendy area, 5 miles from Central London (ie, Picadilly, ect.), just south of Greenwich (so don't ask me what time zone I'm in...) and the Thames.

My dorm is called Chesterman House, and located between the school and a train/underground station (trains go outside London/the tube is for travel inside greater London) and I can get to Paris in three hours. Forget Edmonton... Paris!

Pictures
For quicktime "panoromas" of the school and surrounding area, go here. Really quite neat, actually, but not at all panoramic.

For photos of New Cross area, try here. And for real panoramics of the area, try the BBC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home