My shiny little online spot to help y'all keep track of me while I galavant around London.

Friday, December 03, 2004

Covent Garden

Went to Covent Garden, after we finished up the paper. I was in a shitty mood, and just wanted to go off on my own, so I hopped a bus to Trafalgar Square, where I sat admiring the Norwegian Christmas tree. London took care of the Norwegian king during WW2, so every year the country ships out a massive tree as way of thanks. It’s very pretty and a nice way to say thank you.
















Anyways, from there, wandered aimlessly until I hit Covent Garden, which wasn’t the plan, but should have been. I hadn’t been to this area yet, and was missing out. Very funky, with open markets and street performers, it’s got a good vibe, especially for Christmas-time, as any place is bound to, what with excellent street shopping, freshly roasted chestnuts, and buskers playing carols. Sounds cheesy, probably, but isn’t. The shopping is a mix of market stall and designer boutique; the street food is your choice of chestnuts and mulled wine or bar food and a pint. And the buskers—who can argue with Silent Night on the saxophone, or a black man singing I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas? Brilliant.

I very much enjoyed myself, and went home with a smile on my face and shopping bags of gifts on my arms. Sadly, the bus was hella full, and I had to stand; I wasn't enjoying all the bags at that point...

Got home, and then popped back out to Venue, where some local bands were playing: the Long Blondes, The Research and The Lodgers, I think. Apparently "the" bands are in, and apparently New Cross, the area I live in, has a scene, and a good one at that. I don’t know much about music, but I did have a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home