My shiny little online spot to help y'all keep track of me while I galavant around London.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Lincoln's Inn



Lincoln's Inn is a group of buildings tucked away behind Chancery Lane and Holborn, where a lot of lawyers work and law students study for the bar. It's amazing not because it's pretty and has cool old buildings -- b/c that describes large areas of London -- but because it's so quiet.



There's an entrance right off Holborn, down the street from where I work. That road is always busy and always noisy; buses rumbling along, cars stuck in traffic, taxis running down cyclists... it never ends. Constant sound. But step through this little arched doorway, and it's like stepping into another world. The buildings are all old and unique looking -- with arches, and god do I love archways, everywhere --, there's grass and gardens to sit in, and it's so silent.

There are people walking around, in pairs here and there, but no large groups of tourists, no stream of power-walking City workers. It's like a campus, but without the first-years. And the Rez kids. And the engineers.



I'm sure during summer the grass and the trees draw the office crowd at lunch time; I'm sure it won't be quite so quiet then. But now, it's such a contrast to the rest of Central London. It's almost enough to make me want to take up law.... but not quite.

More of my photos here, however, also check out the panoramic photo on their website.

1 Comments:

Blogger Daorcey Le Bray said...

Cool.

Acck! your profile photo has disappeared! How will we remember what you look like?

23/3/06

 

Post a Comment

<< Home