My shiny little online spot to help y'all keep track of me while I galavant around London.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Riots in Belfast

Just a week after our trip to Belfast, there's been massive riots. Apparently the worst in years. I am very glad we missed all that garbage, tho I do have to admit, it would have been interesting to see, for real, the crap I studied for years...



From Kristian (pics are his too!):

Its a shame you all had to leave so soon ...You missed the big party here in Belfast. It was smashing!

They easily the worst riots in years...The police came under automatic and side arm fire, attack from petrol, blast and pipe bomb...There flash points across the city, here in east belfast they hijacked a digger (you can see it in one of the photos) and proceeded to knock down all the lamp posts along the Albertbridge Rd ( I took you all down that road on our way into the city on the Sunday) then they dug out an ATM from a garage....they also hijacked three buses and set them on fire... on one of the buses was a bunch of pensioners on a church outing...they robbed the lot of them then turfed them all out on the side of the motor way...




I suppose that's the one big difference here and home: bad things actually happen here. Can you imagine a riot in Calgary? I can't even imagine a peaceful protest in Calgary...

I'll post details/pictures of our non-violent Belfast experience soon...

3 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

Maybe you explain a bit more Ms. "I took a course on Irish political science." Also, why were they rioting? Bad soccer game, no beer, boredom?

15/9/05

 
Blogger Nicole said...

Dude. I just assumed you, y'know, read the news, or something. I mean,I know CBC is out, but really...

It's the same shit they've been fighting over for the past 40 years, loyalists/unionists vs. republicans. Some of the UVF (loyalists to the UK) marched (they have marches, it's weird) and were told by the cops they couldn't, so they picked a fight. Apparently, they're mad because republicans (ie, the IRA) are always allowed to march whenever they want.

That's the basic rundown.

Technically, there's been a cease fire for a few months, but it's not like that's ever stopped anyone there before...

More info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4240398.stm

And:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/quick_guides/05/uk_northern_ireland_conflict/html/1.stm

15/9/05

 
Blogger Nicole said...

here's another good one:

http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/0000000CAD5A.htm

15/9/05

 

Post a Comment

<< Home